A Shelter for Helpless Ill Children (ASHIC), Foundation for Childhood Cancer is the first non-profit organization dedicated to serve and improve the quality of life of the childhood cancer warriors in Bangladesh since 1994.
It was started by bereaved parents Salma Choudhury and Afzal Husain Choudhury after they lost their 3 years old son, Ashiq Husain Choudhury, to cancer in London, UK, on 20th May 1993.
- ASHIC Patients’ Services Program meant for the childhood cancer warriors and their families from the inception of the Foundation to improve the quality of life as much as possible through their limited resources.
- ASHIC Somobathy Program is the counseling session for serving the childhood cancer warriors parents.
- ASHIC Outing Program is a recreational program by taking the childhood cancer warriors and their families to various historical and interesting places.
- ASHIC Awareness Program. We developed nationwide social awareness through advocacy and mindful campaigns. We also organize Workshops, Seminars, Rallies, distribute Leaflets, Brochures to make people aware on childhood cancer.
- 9 ASHIC Play Center in the 9 Government Hospitals at the pediatric ward to serve for the admitted pediatric patients both cancer and non-cancer.
- ASHIC Shelter Program started in 2000 for the childhood cancer warriors coming from rural areas to complete their treatment protocol in Dhaka. ASHIC Shelter provides free accommodation and food for the childhood cancer warriors staying with one of their parents.
- ASHIC Support-a-Life Program is to support financially to help the childhood cancer warriors so that they can complete their treatment protocol and become survivors.
- ASHIC Palliative Care Unit (PCU) Program. It is Pediatric Palliative Care program in Bangladesh for the terminally ill childhood cancer warriors for pain management and to give them quality of life.
It has 9 bed facilities which offer on-site Pediatric Palliative Care and is managed by consultant, doctors and nurses including Retinoblastoma patients.
- ASHIC Wish List is normally for the terminally ill childhood cancer warriors to try to fulfill their desire if we have donors.
- ASHIC Parents Support Group (PSG) is a unique program for the bereaved parents to give Support even with Blood transform to the childhood cancer warriors, under treatment and palliative patients and their parents.
- ASHIC Mobile Pediatric Palliative Care Clinic (Mobile PPCC) is an ambulance service to provide transportation for medical appointments as well as to transport the deceased.
ASHIC has been working in Partnership Program with World Child Cancer (WCC), UK since June 2020. and a member of various international organisations.
About our Member Spotlight Series
Introducing our Member Spotlight Series, where we shine a light on the incredible work and impact of our member organisations in the field of palliative care. Each installment of this series is dedicated to showcasing the exceptional efforts of one organisation, highlighting their dedication to improving the lives of individuals facing serious illnesses and their families.
Each spotlighted organisation shares a common mission: to enhance quality of life, alleviate suffering, and provide comfort to patients and their loved ones during one of life’s most vulnerable periods. From pioneering advancements in pain management and symptom control to addressing psychosocial needs and spiritual support, our members are at the forefront of shaping the future of palliative care.
Through this series, we not only honor the dedication and expertise of our member organisations but also aim to raise awareness about the importance of palliative care. By highlighting the invaluable contributions of these institutions, we hope to foster a deeper understanding and appreciation for the specialised care and support they provide to individuals facing serious illnesses.