APHN kick-started 2019 with our first webinar of the 2019 APHN Webinar series on 24th January 2019.
This time round we invited Dr Naveen Salins to deliver a lecture on the topic of “Management of Delirium”. Dr Salins is the Professor and Head of the Department of Palliative Medicine at the Kasturba Medical College, Manipal. His area of interest in palliative care is end-of-life (EOL) care, and he played a pivotal role in drawing up the position statement and policy guidelines on EOL care for India.
Delirium is prevalent in patients approaching end-of-life and have an association with high mortality and morbidity. In addition, delirium results in the hindering of patient communication which causes high stress levels in not only the patient but the family members or caregivers as well.[i] Hence, it is important for our palliative care colleagues to learn about managing delirium.
Much like our first collaborative webinar, we had an array of host sites from our different sectors. Many of the previous organisations were willing to participate in the event again. We even managed to recruit seven new host sites! The hour long event was comprised of 45 minutes of pre-recorded lecture and a 15-minute real time question and answer segment where participants could pose their questions via a message board.
Check out our gallery here: https://www.facebook.com/theAPHN/posts/3570201609740041
We had over 647 participants in this webinar, which was a significant increase from the previous webinar! APHN would like to thank the following 23 organisations for their efforts and hospitality as the host sites:
- Bangladesh- Hospsis Bangladesh
- Bangladesh- National Institute of Cancer Research Hospital
- China- West China Fourth Hospital of Sichuan
- India- RMD Specialties Hospital
- India- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences
- India- Dr STM Hospital GMC Haldwani
- Indonesia- Dharmais Cancer Hospital
- Indonesia- Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital – Oncology Centre
- Indonesia- Universitas Padjadjaran, Faculty of Nursing
- Philippines- San Beda College of Nursing
- Philippines- Healthserv Los Banos Medical Centre
- Philippines- Davao Regional Medical Centre
- Philippines- Hospice Philippines
- Philippines- Makati Medical Centre
- Philippines- Lung Centre
- Philippines- The Ruth Foundation for Palliative and Hospice Care
- Philippines- National Kidney & Transplant Institute
- Philippines- Siliman University Medical Centre
- Philippines- Philippine Institute Of Traditional And Alternative Health
- Singapore- Khoo Teck Puat Hospital
- Sri Lanka- University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Sri Lanka- Sri Lanka Medical Association
- Thailand- Khonkaen University, Srinagarind Hospital
Lastly, we would also like to thank all individuals who participated and supported this initiative in one way or another.
Overall, the webinar was successfully conducted and feedback was well received.
Do keep a lookout on our website or newsletter for updates on upcoming webinars.
If your organisation is located in the Asia Pacific region and would like join us as a host site for future webinars, please contact the Secretariat office at email at: [email protected]
[i] Bush, S. H., Tierney, S., & Lawlor, P. G. (2017). Clinical Assessment and Management of Delirium in the Palliative Care Setting. Drugs, 77(15), 1623-1643.
Written by: Trudy Giam, APHN Executive