SMS Medical College is part of Lien Collaborative for Palliative Care CTC3 Program. They have since setup a Palliative Care service successfully and provided care to their patients.
A workshop for patients of oropharyngeal malignancies was organised by their PALLIATIVE CARE CENTER on 29 January 2020, 9:00-10:00 am. 50 patients and caregivers and 5 nursing staff attended the workshop.
Topics discussed in detail were as the following:
- Wound dressing and sterilisation of dressing items at home
- Infection prevention strategies
- Prevention of maggot infiltration and foul smell
- Healthy diet advice
- Proper fluid and electrolyte intake
- Pain management strategies
- Psychological and social support
- Educating them about various government schemes for financial benefits from government
- Educating the care givers about quitting smoking and tobacco use
- Educating them about early signs of cancer
- Providing awareness regarding early detection of oral cancers
- Request to the caregivers for volunteer
Source: Dr Ashwin Mathur (Lien Collaborative CTC3 participant)